This FAQ describes the situation when you need to run 2N® Helios IP Manager software on one PC (or server) and 2N® Attendance System on the other one. There are several steps which have to be fulfilled to enable the communication between these two computers – in fact it means that you need to enable the access from 2N® Helios IP Manager to the database (SQL database running on the PC where 2N® Attendance System is running).
Note: This access (data transmission) can be affected mainly by Firewalls on these computers. Therefore it is necessary to create several rules (outgoing and incoming) mainly on PC where the 2N® Attendance System is installed.
- Create inbound rule for TCP port 1433 on the PC with 2N® Attendance System as shown in pictures below (printscreens are from PC with Windows 7)
- Now create almost the same rule for TCP port 1433 but for it will be in the section "Outbound Rules" – pictures would be the same as all mentioned above. Once you create this rule you should see it in the tab.
- In next step we can create two more rules (one inbound and one outbound) for UDP port 1434. So finally the firewall will be set as shown in next two pictures.
- Thanks to these rules you will see your PC with 2N® Attendance System in the "Server Address" list in 2N® Helios IP Manager software.
- In next step you have to make some changes in the Database settings on PC with 2N® Attendance System. Database can use dynamically assigned ports, but we want to use only one specific port – therefore we will set the database to use only fixed TCP port 1433. You can read more details about this setting on the link below but the most important step is in the next picture. You have to run "SQL Server Configuration Manager" then go to section "SQL Server Network Configuration – Protocols for SQLEXPRESS – TCP/IP – IP Addresses tab". After that select an interface with loopback IP address (127.0.0.1) and change TCP port from 0 (dynamically assigned) to 1433.
- Finally you have to select "SQL Server Browser" service in "SQL Server Configuration Manager" and double check if the service is running. If not then you have to run it (start service) manually.